gabriel rosenkoetter on 10 Oct 2007 07:39:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question

At 2007-10-09 23:12 -0400, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, how hard is it to upgrade Memory on a
> > MacBook? Planning to get 1GB of RAM, but would like to upgrade to 2GB or
> > even 4GB if possible.
> > Any thoughts?
> *DEFINITELY* max out your RAM to 4GB; OSX is a RAM hog and probably
> should be running on 8GB if the laptop hardware supported it.

First, I encourage you to find an Apple-made laptop that supports
more than 2 GB of SO-DIMM RAM. (They don't exist. See
http://support.apple.com/specs/.)

Second, while 1 GB is sluggish on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook
Pro, 2 GB is quite sufficient to run Firefox with 20+ tabs, VMware
Fusion with a 250 GB allocation, Virtue with 8 desktops, the Gimp
(under X), Terminal with 30 windows open, Fire, NewsFire, VLC (not
actively playing, but it'd be smooth sailing if it were) Mail,
Addressbook, iCal, iPhoto, iTunes, with two SMB-mounted shares (from
one of which iTunes is playing), an iPod, and an iPhone connected,
under Mac OS X 10.4.10. Just going on what I'm doing right this
very second.

As regards performing a memory install on a MacBook, it took me two
clicks from http://support.apple.com/ to find:

(Complete with diagrams!)

It does actually pay to do one's own research when one is dealing
with a competent vendor (I hope you're listening, dell.com, though
I know you ain't).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net