James Barrett on 11 Oct 2007 01:23:10 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux encrypted partitions, How To

On Wednesday 10 October 2007 19:43, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> It would probably be more flexible to use LVM on crypt, which lets you
> avoid using a swap file and use multiple "partitions".  I believe James set
> up something like that on his laptop.

It was very simple. When Debian-Installer asked to set up partitions you must
create at least two, one for /boot and one for encryption of everything else.
LVM can be set up inside the giant encrypted partition. DI utilizes LUKS.

I chose to create my own partition layout. I set up the boot partition first
(you will see why in a moment), on a usb drive*. If doing it on the main disk
it would only need about 200MB at the very maximum for /boot (my usb drive is
only 128MB). The rest of the disk is set up as physical volume for
encryption. After setting the partition to be used for encryption, I went up
to a new option, "configure encrypted volumes" (IIRC?). DI notified me that
continuing would mean that I could not mangle the disk partition table any
more during the install process, and prompted me to continue. I did, of
course, since I had already created a boot partition. The laptop was new, so
I did not need to wipe the drive (it would have taken 2 hours anyway...) It
asked for a passphrase to use for encryption (I chose one with more than 20
characters: uppercase, lowercase, digits and symbols). I was then presented
with an encrypted volume. I set up LVM (physical volume for lvm) and then
went up to "configure logical volumes" or whatever the new selection happened
to be. It notified and prompted again about not being able to mangle the
partition table after continuing; I continued. I then set up the system as
normal from here on, with /var, /home and /tmp volumes separate from root. I
also set up a 1.5GB swap partition inside the volume group. Everything
except /boot can be encrypted very easily and also flawlessly with debian
installer.

It has been a while since I did this, so correct me if I misstated anything.

* the USB flash drive must be inserted before you start the Debian install
(i.e. before you turn on the machine). I selected noatime as a mount option
so access times did not write to disk. The advantage of using a usb drive is
not much, but it allowed me to create fewer partitions on the hard disk
itself (just one in this case). GRUB is on the usb flash drive, so it can be
used as a rescue disk for other systems, though I have not had to use it for
that yet. It is a bit of a PITA as I have to insert and mount it whenever
doing a kernel upgrade.