Matt Mossholder on 14 Oct 2007 20:21:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] network/server troubleshoot

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 15:35 -0400, jeff wrote:
> I'm unfamiliar with the fw in question, but is there a spare hardware
> firewall you can substitute in the meantime to verify where the problem
> is?  Maybe try out a different distro or NICs?
>
> When you googled the error message, did any of it relate to what you're
> seeing or close?
>
> When it goes down, ping eth0 and eth1 from a workstation.  If you can
> hit eth0 but not the net, the connection is down.  If you can hit eth1
> but not eth0, it's the firewall.
>
> I'm betting it's the firewall.
>

> Good luck.

I'm betting it is the tulip NIC. While they are well supported, there
were a number of different variants, and they weren't all exactly
reliable.  Do you have another NIC you could use as a test?

Also, you might want to try running the following commands, both when it
is working and when it has failed, and check the output:

ethtool eth0
ethtool -S eth0

Finally, are you doing PPPoE (or anything similar) on the firewall? If
so, are there any separate logs that might have more info?

		--Matt