Eric on 14 Oct 2007 20:40:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] network/server troubleshoot

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 15:35 -0400, jeff wrote:
>> I'm unfamiliar with the fw in question, but is there a spare hardware
>> firewall you can substitute in the meantime to verify where the problem
>> is?  Maybe try out a different distro or NICs?
>>
>> When you googled the error message, did any of it relate to what you're
>> seeing or close?
>>
>> When it goes down, ping eth0 and eth1 from a workstation.  If you can
>> hit eth0 but not the net, the connection is down.  If you can hit eth1
>> but not eth0, it's the firewall.
>>
>> I'm betting it's the firewall.
>>

>> Good luck.
>
> I'm betting it is the tulip NIC. While they are well supported, there
> were a number of different variants, and they weren't all exactly
> reliable.  Do you have another NIC you could use as a test?
>
> Also, you might want to try running the following commands, both when it
> is working and when it has failed, and check the output:
>
> ethtool eth0
> ethtool -S eth0
>
> Finally, are you doing PPPoE (or anything similar) on the firewall? If
> so, are there any separate logs that might have more info?
>

> 		--Matt

I tried the commands and got:
   [root ~]# ethtool eth0
   Settings for eth0:
   No data available
   [root ~]# ethtool -S eth0
   no stats available

Strange - but then I've not heard of ethtool before so I don't know what to
expect.  Still, I agree that all signs point to the tulip-based NIC and I'm
going to toss that for another to test ASAP.

Thanks!

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas