Eric on 15 Oct 2007 12:42:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] network/server troubleshoot

Brian:

I agree with you about Cavtel.  On two occasions they assigned me a duplicate IP
address or they assigned somebody ELSE a duplicate IP - in either case the
result was the same: no Internet.  Their support people were finally able to
solve the problem both times but it was not easy.  I have not had the experience
with the network hogging you describe but I have a feeling that I have not been
getting the advertised speed from my DSL.  I would bother to test it but I
believe it's smarter to just jump back to Comcast.  I had them for years and
never had the problems I've had in the last 12 to 18 months with DSL.  There
were other problems but they pale in comparison.

I'm going to purchase a new NIC today - preferably Intel as you point out.
Thanks for the offer but I'm close to a number of suppliers and the price is
right.  I cannot wait.

Oh, I was able to grant myself a temporary reprieve by swapping the eth0 and
eth1 interfaces on the firewall server.  Now there are no random network
interruptions.  Of course there was the unexplained kernel panic a bit after 8
AM :-(

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas