Aaron Mulder on 15 Oct 2007 13:10:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question

  • From: "Aaron Mulder" <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:09:59 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=ghmt7vCj29osHAQS2ljPyxHpFTjjwZPwt1JiHwfW9SA=; b=ul6Ng8RDgfbf7CozGuAv9Dd8wX+tBGGWUT+qF39w3goIl261ZCP3JoMzv3nmKItlD5edzZAPGyb44ecKLqA1lmunM2ajU4cE23qR0tCmB9Q2oZDA9LLPWyuJbH9K+lsjtLTBAeEqTfLL1LtOu5HDyrRZCZuZ0DXDalejIzH5GNA=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/10/07, Edward Smola <meanderis@mac.com> wrote:
> The MBP is the only one that can do the 4gb config. The macbook is
> still limited to 2gb ( probably technically 3 but for best
> performance you'll want to use a matched pair)

Yeah, someone tested the MacBook (not Pro) with 2 GB, 3 GB, and 4 GB
installed.  It will only address 3 GB, but according to the article,
if you install 4 GB, it will use the dual-channel access or whatever
for the 3 GB it can address, so there's theoretically a tiny
performance bump over 1 GB + 2 GB.  Anyway, IIRC the results of the
tests they ran showed that 3 GB was well worth it, and 4 GB installed
was almost unnoticeably better.  There's a blog or article out there
somewhere with all the results.  (The current MacBook Pro, as has been
noted, can support 4 GB no problem.)

But going back to the original questions, Java 4/5 is fine on the Mac;
there is a JDK 1.6 beta for Mac, but it's apparently broken in a few
areas that you may or may not come across (also, I can't find it on
the download site any more).  There seems to be hope that a better JDK
1.6 will come with 10.5.  And 10.5 supposedly had a "gold master
release candidate" last week, hoping to reach a final gold master this
week for an October release.

Anyway, I'd certainly wait for 10.5 at this point.  If you're looking
at a MacBook (not Pro), it may be worth waiting until mid-November to
see if they release the rumored minor update (better graphics, more
memory capacity, slightly faster CPU?).  And I'd get black, not
because it's cooler, but because I looked at the palm rests on the
white floor samples (kind of yellowish -- eww!).

Finally, the memory is pretty easy to swap on both MacBook and MacBook
Pro, but the hard drive is only easy to swap on the MacBook.  You can
put in a 200GB/7200 and it works fine.

Thanks,
       Aaron