gabriel rosenkoetter on 10 Oct 2007 19:48:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question

At 2007-10-10 06:31 -0700, Josh Goldstein <oopjosh@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It supports it, but I wouldn't say it supports it 'well' at all.
> You can't download the latest SDK or JRE directly from Sun.
> You have to go through Apple somehow, and it seems like they are never up to date with the latest version of Java.
> This could have all changed sine I last checked, though.

I think that makes it sound a bit worse than it really is, but yes,
Apple generally lags one minor version behind on the JDK and JRE
(they can go ahead and drop the 1. or 2. if they like, but it's
still a minor version change):

From http://developer.apple.com/java/:

  Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 5 delivers improved reliability and
  compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 and Java 1.4
  on Mac OS X 10.4.8 and later. This release updates J2SE 5.0 to
  version 1.5.0_07 and Java 1.4 to version 1.4.2_12. It also improves
  SWT compatibility for J2SE 5.0.

(Java SE 1.6 is current. And yes, it sure would be nice if they didn't
feel the need to change the *name* of the damn thing with every
minor version change too. http://java.sun.com/javase/namechange.html
is enough to make one want to fly to Santa Clara and punch someone
in the face.)

At 2007-10-10 03:51 -0700, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> should I get the Apple extended warranty, is it worth it?

Yes, AppleCare is absolutely worth it. Replacement parts for Apple
products are expensive like parts for German cars are. It's cheap
for the piece of mind.

At 2007-10-10 13:10 -0400, Jason <jcostom@gmail.com> wrote:
> To answer the original q, installing RAM is a breeze on either a
> MacBook or a MacBook Pro.  MB can go up to 2GB, MBP can go up to 4GB
> (both use DDR2-667).

Which MacBook Pro do you believe can accept 4 GB of RAM?

It's none of these:

http://support.apple.com/specs/macbookpro/MacBook_Pro_Mid_2007.html
http://support.apple.com/specs/macbookpro/MacBook_Pro_Late_2006.html
http://support.apple.com/specs/macbookpro/MacBook_Pro_15-inch_Glossy.html
http://support.apple.com/specs/macbookpro/MacBook_Pro_17-inch.html
http://support.apple.com/specs/macbookpro/MacBook_Pro.html

I'm pretty sure that's all of them...?

(The only laptop running Mac OS X natively I've seen with more than
2 GB of memory didn't come from Apple... and that's not exactly for
the casual user.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net