Jason on 10 Oct 2007 17:10:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question

  • From: Jason <jcostom@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:10:49 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=vt9V3b2CPJkq4l/KvrOfZpk4hUtiGdFdm1rpETH0pZ4=; b=fXebzTlpCh28k1XOrNQ6hFxpegvn97yToLTp6CJHLNWjmyHcq0FLX2tlfh/IlcVPcCgLqKUTJQOqvYTy61haV6xVjGUgrcPnVP2CovsTClC2I5/9Isj6xpX5rh8Kv6/xeUnEBu3dY1k/KQ810GlNHlLMLECOI7xV53J14cPCRXg=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/10/07, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Second, while 1 GB is sluggish on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook
> > Pro, 2 GB is quite sufficient to run Firefox with 20+ tabs,
>
> try Firefox -- especially Firefox rather than Camino -- with 200+ tabs,

Wow, put the rulers away guys..  Come on now, who really opens over
200 pages at the same time?  (queue the chorus of people shouting
about how this is their daily routine...)  200 tabs is most certainly
out of the ordinary.  Either you're doing something tragically wrong,
or you work very differently from the vast majority of us.  Either
way, you'll need to come to grips with the fact that having 200 open
tabs in any browser is not normal.

To answer the original q, installing RAM is a breeze on either a
MacBook or a MacBook Pro.  MB can go up to 2GB, MBP can go up to 4GB
(both use DDR2-667).  That said, my wife's perfectly content with 1GB
on her MB, and I'm happy with 2GB on my MBP.  You'll be completely
fine with 2GB unless doing heavy duty stuff, in which case, consider
4GB.

And to who asked about AppleCare - yes, it's worth it.  My only
exception to the electronics extended warranty policy is on laptops.
One repair over the life of the product can cost 3-4x the cost of the
warranty.  It's a bet, obviously, but since you're hauling the thing
around, it's more likely to be damaged.

And the longer you can afford to wait to purchase, the better - not
just true with Apple products.  Any electronic product is likely to
see new & improved versions or price cuts over time.