Brian Vagnoni on 15 Oct 2007 14:06:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] network/server troubleshoot

Eric

Would you like me to bring you another network card; free?

Brian Vagnoni

From: Eric [mailto:eric@lucii.org]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 09:22:41 -0400
Subject: Re: [PLUG] network/server troubleshoot

John:

Don't be so sure I don't want to hear it. I may not agree but I never object to
hearing about alternatives.

I use an older Celeron server running SME server for this firewall/server
application. It draws less than 80 watts and gives me webmail via https, ssh,
sftp, web server (for experimental and client accessible work), VPN (don't use
it much due to ssh availability) and shared directories on my LAN using Samba.

I presumed that if I used an appliance like the Linksys then I'd still have to
have the server running samba for the shares. Can I ssh/sftp through the
Linksys box into my server or workstation? I've heard of setting up networks
with a DMZ but I've never spent the time to see if that would be beneficial for
me here at home/office.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Eric

PS: Even my power-hungry Athlon 64x2 systems (I have 2 - one runs Linux, one
runs Windows) draw just 188 watts from the UPS (218 W with the shared flat-panel
monitor on.) I had presumed the demand would be greater than it is.

--
# Eric Lucas
#