James Barrett on 16 Oct 2007 22:19:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] which way to go to run winxp apps in linux

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 17:56, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> While wine doesn't run everything, it has two serious advantages over
> running windows in a VM with VMWare/QEMU/etc:
snip!
> If he had to use a VM instead of wine, he would have to copy the file over
> to the VM, edit the file inside the VM, and copy the file back into his
> home directory.  For an app that he uses almost constantly, this would be
> enough of a barrier that he'd probably switch back to Windows entirely.

Setting up a samba share on the host machine goes a long way if you have a
Windows VM.  Save files directly to the share and you will have access to
them from both the host and the guest.

Additionally, VMWare has some sort of shared folders feature (which I have not
used).