Marty O'Brien on 17 Oct 2007 04:12:43 -0000

[PLUG] Postfix and Comcast

  • From: "Marty O'Brien" <mobrien118@ieee.org>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:12:39 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:x-google-sender-auth; bh=+qv6FhC/DNhz8pEc53RXfmUeEq+Rlqe+e9QTdkjQTGw=; b=uMIV2wy/6nKAPCGrL4ZYmh+0Ro4TeMxRkcirzmQKX/C6e6D9vVx9wCxBgd2beRL6HlG+ueI3UK40heDyNwhC/jbtRDvFc7QX8hb7/QYOQr1BmFM7sfpiqsyhFEQMvVdxNXW9HvfxxMhqOdT5VqG1WPdLvr9LkcmhKPWKZZSFKDw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Hello PLUG!

I have lived in Philadelphia (Actually Wyncote) for 12 months and I have been subscribing to this mail-list for 8 months now and reading it whenever I get a chance. Well, I am finally ready to write something (for some help!). So, without further ado:

I have a linux box with Xandros 4.0 installed (A Debian based distro, for those unfamiliar) which comes with a default installation of "postfix".

What works:
Sending an email to mobrien118@gmail.com using the "mail" command line application.

What doesn't work:
Sending an email just about anywhere else.

So, I believe I need to relay my mail through a trusted server somewhere (maybe a Comcast SMTP server) so that POP and IMAP servers won't simply discard it like yesterday's news. Can someone help me make this work? I also want PHP to be able to send mail, although I think this may already be working since I edited php.ini. There is only one line that I think needs editing there, anyway.

I have to warn you all that I am just barely into "Intermediate user" status in Linux.

Surely someone on this group is doing this (sending mail over Comcast's lines).

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to becoming more active in this community!

--Marty O'Brien