Isaac Bennetch on 17 Oct 2007 13:31:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast

  • From: "Isaac Bennetch" <bennetch@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:31:27 -0400
  • Cc: mobrien118@ieee.org
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=sn706eq6WXAcOJnquNWOnORMhQO57Y32TsbaiX5b5ak=; b=Y/Zzc0IDjawsqr7w0pGPxRFH/qupQOlyrHEf40C5kUx+VDHVADh0hHZmKCK5mFPnp3P7P+7HDtKdvcgscKvt6dyqcN+Aicvp3TVgy5B+8rT7NdYrYBRe9ZTa0B304ov36fETecjE3yWz0pOoYz0mZuRx7/fAmFy9NH4EcM4uu80=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Hi!

On 10/17/07, Marty O'Brien <mobrien118@ieee.org> wrote:
> I have lived in Philadelphia (Actually Wyncote) for 12 months

Welcome to the area!

> What doesn't work:
> Sending an email just about anywhere else.

If I understand correctly your problem, your configuration, and mail
in general; what you need is to configure your mailer to use a Smart
Host. If you're directly putting mail out yourself, lots of places
will drop or bounce it because of botnets, spam, etc -- so you have to
pass it through Comcast's servers, much as you've guessed. They've got
a server for you to connect to and you might have to authenticate to
it, but Google for "comcast smarthost" and you might find some help
there.

Once you configure your postfix to use their smarthost (and with the
"from" address being your comcast address, so you actually get replies
and bounces), hopefully you'll see an improvement. Then any mail sent
from your box, from mutt or PHP or whatever, will relay through the
Comcast SMTP server. You'll also want to make sure that local mail,
for instance 'root' notifications, cron jobs, etc, stay local. I did
this once but forget how, hopefully someone can chime in.

> So, I believe I need to relay my mail through a trusted server somewhere
> (maybe a Comcast SMTP server)

Exactly.

> I have to warn you all that I am just barely into "Intermediate user" status
> in Linux.

There's nothing like hands-on training to help understand a concept :)

~Isaac