Brian Vagnoni on 17 Oct 2007 15:39:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast

Echoing Michael's comments. I use Comcast to host all my stuff including mail. I use noip.com dynamic dns service with their alternate port smtp service to take care of the reverse lookup required by most mail servers these days. I also get a SPF record through my mail server and domain host.

Go to www.dnsreport.com and check out you domain name and it will give you many tools to diagonse your mail as well as dns issues as well as give you recommendeddations and hints. I use this site regilously. You won't get a revese lookup with your domain name from Comcast so you have to do it other ways.

Brian Vagnoni

PS the Service is like $40/year, a minute or so to actually proagate your dns receords around the web it is very fast.

From: Marty O'Brien [mailto:mobrien118@ieee.org]
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 00:12:39 -0400
Subject: [PLUG] Postfix and Comcast

Hello PLUG!

I have lived in Philadelphia (Actually Wyncote) for 12 months and I have been subscribing to this mail-list for 8 months now and reading it whenever I get a chance. Well, I am finally ready to write something (for some help!). So, without further ado:

I have a linux box with Xandros 4.0 installed (A Debian based distro, for those unfamiliar) which comes with a default installation of "postfix".

What works:
Sending an email to mobrien118@gmail.com using the "mail" command line application.

What doesn't work:
Sending an email just about anywhere else.

So, I believe I need to relay my mail through a trusted server somewhere (maybe a Comcast SMTP server) so that POP and IMAP servers won't simply discard it like yesterday's news. Can someone help me make this work? I also want PHP to be able to send mail, although I think this may already be working since I edited php.ini. There is only one line that I think needs editing there, anyway.

I have to warn you all that I am just barely into "Intermediate user" status in Linux.

Surely someone on this group is doing this (sending mail over Comcast's lines).

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to becoming more active in this community!

--Marty O'Brien