Brent Saner on 18 Oct 2007 15:18:57 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam-China

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam-China
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:18:51 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=xtYwQVsLNT7wNLHKTEI2OnmP5mdNPBkpLNKJ3Acp3WA=; b=JirVPQg0emEvxdrAeTWaCbsSXxEoD/bOe16JO8wGdDxqhNfQPRYCgYasmMrvqmWfkxTRFRdI7LYYVjzD7qRbcAD3oQ6j5XAaRF0an6mOTmxp7H8DPe6jIdg47My+Mi+qxHkPtzKipuU0zOxEI1QGuUkM4r4d/G9nF2745eIHQR0=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

but there's a bit of problem i have with the article-
parents were advised because the "string was a choking hazard."

c'mon. duh. who would GIVE that to their child in the first place if their child was young enough to choke on the string?

(on the other side of the spectrum, i'm orally fixated so i know i'd at least be chewing on the thing. i doubt i'd choke though)

i think the problem 70% of the time comes down to adults- either the adult was immature in their own actions, or they were irresponsible in their parenting responsibilities. it's as if we need to be suppled common sense to us by warning labels now. once upon a time, people actually used their minds for assessment of possible health risks...

On 10/18/07, Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
On Thursday 18 October 2007, Brent Saner wrote:
> what next?
> "The US Consumer Safety Committee is issuing a recall on all steak knives.
> It has been found that they have been known to have sharp edges and have
> been the cause of several injuries, with lacerations resulting from
> improper use."
>
> i mean, seriously. where's the line? c'mon america.

The difference there is that the glow stick is a toy for children, whereas
steak knives are usually regarded as... not for small children.  Since very
young children try to put just about anything in their mouths, it's important
to know that the toys you give them won't get stuck in there.   For products
aimed at adults, the real problem lies with people filing frivolous lawsuits
after injuring themselves while using a product in an unwise manner
(chainsaws, coffee, etc.).

Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)
215.362.7696(residence)