zuzu on 18 Oct 2007 14:25:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam-China

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam-China
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:25:09 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=4tl8iwPruxVROY+jRmD9AqadlX4AXCySTC7I4hZImqQ=; b=ZFkHTFHzduWuAnjOb0vam5Uq3Wk9fOIU9ykJSgPJAql7L1KCLBqTtr54om7R/IaeKe4LvdfEfk3793K9mdUT2VELAh99RixuTuBfb2w+bS6W4Y0Bgzwd6MLJQ0EecsuGFqlh+wTurntd2jGThVXS7nhu5TKvbAla+5fEWxuLd/M=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/18/07, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
> > This is more of a perception than a reality.  Over half of the world
> > wide spam comes from the US, IIRC.
>
> I've probably seen the same stats as you, but my experience states
> otherwise.
>
> As a side issue, it seems that every interview I read lately states that
> China keeps trying to hack into their computers.

without getting overly political (and off-topic), there's *alot* of
war-drum beating of anti-China jingoism in the USA.  (to generalize,
the "Left" is being led to fear China and the "Right" is being led to
fear Iran, but neither fear has much basis in reality.)

for example, look at how this article inserts "Chinese made" when the
product is at worst a potential choking hazard for small children
(like just about *anything*) because it has a detachable cap (like a
pen); not exactly coated in lead or melamine:
http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/17/news/companies/glowstick_recall/index.htm