Sonny To on 17 Oct 2007 23:02:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam

  • From: "Sonny To" <son.c.to@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] cultural ethics of email and spam
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:01:46 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=NiCtok4qPbhDtDzIC49mkYPPUr4YfOFJ9XWZNKV+82Q=; b=kwvX+eG1EDJFijlKZzThYMLIeoUpTbgEujUwoLU3rLZcVFvjyIgV39/vi7J+hUDEa3J8UyJ+AkDx2jiUuQtT+bSiJfQ4/iihM/Rne77MlieqyqJsFMKiQN54RYcZMCXgXtc2AdbqMz08sFIsK7tAga/U+hb5qr6s0H91QAJz6ak=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

 On 10/17/07, John Von Essen <john@essenz.com> wrote:

> Consider the following....
>
> Do you like spending $30 per month for 5Mbps of internet connectivity?
>
> Or is that too high?
>

> Maybe Verizon should give you 100Mbps for $5 per month? Is that better? Oh,
> and you can run MTA's and malicious spambots behind it?
>
> My sarcasm is to illustrate a point. US telecoms and broadband access
> providers go to GREAT measures to provide high speed access at competitive
> prices. All they ask is that you behave like a user - and "users" dont run
> mail servers. There is a reason why that 5Mbps of traffic is priced at a
> unrealistic low price. The reason is your behavior is strictly viewed as an
> end-user.

unrealistic  low price? that's bs... I lived in shanghai for 2yrs and
I was getting FTTB (fiber to the building) 10mbps for about $10/month
no port blocking. you can argue china has a lower cost, but look at
south korea which has cost structure similar to the west... you can
get 100mps to your home for something like $20/month.

once the infrastructure is in place the marginal cost of providing
service is low.