Matthew Rosewarne on 19 Oct 2007 17:11:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive

On Friday 19 October 2007, Mike Leone wrote:
> A pointer or clue, anyone? Something about booting a Knoppix LiveCD, and
> running "grub-install", I believe?

The way I'd do it is fire up a liveCD, copy the files with "cp -a" from the
old drive to the new one, then run grub-install /dev/<new_drive>.  Doing this
in a liveCD isn't absolutely essential, but a good idea, since it makes sure
that no temporary files (especially udev devices) get copied, and that
nothing changes during the copy.  If you wanted, you could do it without a
liveCD by booting into single-user-mode and excluding /dev, /proc, & /sys
from the copy, making empty dirs /proc & /sys, then
run "cp -a /dev/.static/dev /dev" (I believe that's correct, can someone
confirm?)