Brent Saner on 19 Oct 2007 17:54:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 13:53:58 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=HROgNy65DxCesX2rb88ZPI3jQyKhKTXYoQDWLJJVsEY=; b=PvSGWZmELmdFKqz6XmunDL3C45IcSYXpQsjwvbF/wf4F1meO+AWXMDZz7FF5TAvfK9QVxKsd+An35UMbJvzDmfsq7PlLnM+jVVt1KmiJ/3IUot6Pk/c903huSO7U6XhbbgwZBYJnxg5LFOhiIe4q8HghBhW5Xez86E7p0/l6AFY=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

as brian mentioned, DD gets my vote becase then you don't even have to mess with grub at all.
just make sure you stretch the new partition- when dd copies the partition/drive, it'll think the new, bigger drive is the same size as the older one. to remedy this, boot up trusty ol' knoppix (or even the GPartEd LiveCD- google for it), and stretch the partition using gparted or qtpart.

it can get messy if you have any virtual/extended partitions though, so...