Mike Leone on 20 Oct 2007 03:18:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive

JP Vossen wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:36:34 -0400
>> From: Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com>
>> Subject: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive
>>
>> So I've got a mail server that has an old HD. And I wanna replace it
>> with a
>> larger one, which I happen to have lying about. I know there's any
>> number of
>> ways to clone the HD (me, I like Ghost, but I also have DriveImageXML,
>> and I
>> suppose I could even do a dd). Anyways, if I were to Ghost to the new
>> drive,
>> what would I need to do to make grub run on it? I seem to remember doing
>> this before, and getting a new drive with larger partitions, but grub
>> wouldn't run.
>>
>> A pointer or clue, anyone? Something about booting a Knoppix LiveCD, and
>> running "grub-install", I believe?
>
> "Simple" answer:
> ----------------
> 1) Install the new hard drive in the old machine
> 2) Boot a LiveCD or into recovery or single user mode
> 3) partition and format the new drive, then mount it +
> 4) rsync the data over *
> 5) chroot into the new drive's root

I can't seem to chroot. I actually Ghosted the drive; made it the sole
HD in the system; booted with Knoppix; did a "mount /dev/hda1
/mnt/hda1"; then tried "chroot /mnt/hda1".

It told me it couldn't find /bin/sh. And so I couldn't go forward from
there.

So what am I missing, that I can't install grub?