zuzu on 21 Oct 2007 02:30:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Web100 and ISP bandwidth auditing

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Web100 and ISP bandwidth auditing
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:30:02 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=xb5iU9OzNrGH7C7V9dV072GIUVW2DzfNOA5/wrLGko4=; b=fBam7mlf4I61vgy0nG4QvOfLWFDSFbDmhC7TB5QM+6ULh2gnIBPasR7iT0Pdm+OlrQ+LD6deP6GtkMHRpyAShPxo7mqOxvypwMrda7Vn9lrdAHifXriBDNFKk4oUE0+ODU2t+j6njdf8eIxcUKL2SMRlzRl6n4pRgiSKDp3w3+Q=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/20/07, Antony P Joseph <antony@panathara.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
>    There are plenty available in Web.
>   One example is
> http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html.
>
> Then there is bing
> http://fgouget.free.fr/bing/bing_src-man.shtm

yes yes, I know.  perhaps again I'm not explaining myself well to this audience.

the reason I mention web100 is because it is the software behind
web-based bandwidth auditing such as http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/

there are many other such web100 hosts, so results can be
independently verified from several sources.  (also to not over-stress
any one system, like when miranda got slashdotted about a month ago.)

however, I'm speaking to something a bit more sophisticated than
firing up a web browser when mood strikes.  I'm speaking of, for
example, automating weekly audits of bandwidth and maintaining logs
and statistics of variances.  severe variances could even garner
remuneration which otherwise might go silent/unnoticed.  I'm
attempting something like quality assurance and making sure I'm always
getting what I pay for.  caveat emptor, ya know?