John Von Essen on 21 Oct 2007 03:12:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Comcast spoofs on network to block P2P

Comcast has been doing this for years, and they explicitly do it to ensure network quality - thats why its random. There is actually a human at Comcast who determines if the traffic should be dropped based on other network conditions. For example, they do it with IPSEC traffic, but it is solely at the whim of whomever is in the NOC. So sometimes IPSEC gets dropped right away, other times it will work for hours.

Most ISP's have in their ToS a clause that says they reserve the right to preserve network quality for all users. The company interprets that to mean they can drop IPSEC or terminate gnutella in an effort to protect network quality for the whole.

Unlike leased lines services, Comcast and Verizon dont explicitly guarantee anything. They dont guarantee bandwidth amounts, uptime, or protocol.

Comcast is a bigger culprit then Verizon because site-wide they are having serious capacity issues which is effecting internet access, and also HD channels and on-demand.

I am actually amazed Comcast is still in business. Directv has them beat in HD capacity, FiOS and next-gen DSL should have them beat in data, and their old cable infrastructure is getting close to extinction with no possibility of quick upgrade. Somehow they keep managing to slither through it all.

Just today I saw an add where Comcast claims to have 16Mbps. That must really piss off verizon. They spend millions rolling out Fiber, to start a base package of 15Mbps, and one day Comcast just comes along "coincidentally" and says we have 16Mbps, one notch about the base Fios package.

-John