Matthew Rosewarne on 21 Oct 2007 22:40:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Meeting Topic Request

On Sunday 21 October 2007, Brent Saner wrote:
> seconded. ati in linux, while a bad idea for linux gaming, is good if you
> just want it to work. nvidia binaries are a 2.5 on the bitch-factor scale
> to set up and get working and get working WELL (to the point of
> 1600x1200res, etc.)
> but ati drivers? nice and smooth. not much you can do on a special level,
> but if you're multiseating you won't want to anyways.

I wouldn't recommend using the binary drivers from ATI, either.  The best
approach would be to find an older ATI card, which have very good Free
drivers, or a well-supported card from another vendor.

> seconded, but you could also (if you have the hard drive space) rip the
> audio cd's, and make ISO's and then mount them when you need to if they're
> data
> (that reminds me- IS THERE ANYTHING LIKE DAEMONTOOLS FOR LINUX?)

To mount an ISO, you just need to use -o loop.  For other formats, there's a
nice tool called fuseiso which uses FUSE to mount ISO, BIN, NRG, IMG, or MDF
(but not CCD or MDS) images.  I don't believe it can do the same hardware
emulation tricks that Windows' DaemonTools does, but you can at least get to
the files.

> as always, great post matt.

Danke.

%!PS: When I first heard of DaemonTools for Windows, I didn't understand why
Windows gamers needed D. J. Bernstein's UNIX service management tools.  Those
1337 warez d00dz really ought to have Googled the name before picking the
name...