Mike Leone on 21 Oct 2007 23:39:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive - problems installing grub

JP Vossen wrote:
>> chroot /mnt/oldhd
>> /usr/sbin/grub-install hd0
>>
>> It said:
>>
>> Could not find device for /boot: not found or not a block device
>>
>> Had no errors mounting it; if I changed to it, I saw all the proper
>> files in /boot.
>
> I don't remember getting this error.  Oops, but I do now vaguely recall
> occasionally having some kind of issue, and installing grub
> interactively via:
>     $ grub
>         root (hd0,0)
>         find /grub/stage1
>         setup (hd0)
>
> If the above works it will probably produce some "can't find here but
> did find there" and successful install messages.

Nope. Well, it said it found everything it wanted (I used the exact
commands above). I got successful messages. But no boot ... not even the

> Otherwise, does /dev exist in the chroot?

Yes.

>> (/boot is ext2; all others are ext3. Not that it should matter; mount
>> auto-figured out what the format was, else I wouldn't have seen anything)
>> ]
>
> FWIW, I usually just make everything ext3.

Well, 3 -4 years ago, when I first made this server, that's what I
chose. :-)

Perhaps I'll just make a boot floppy from the current system, and try that.

Never had this much problems cloning a Windows system to a larger drive. :-(

Perhaps I'll just install a new version of Linux on it (it's Debian
testing; don't ask me when it was originally made; I don't remember
silly code names. I think it was kernel 2.4.19 ?), and transfer over the
/home files, and the mail and samba config files ...