JP Vossen on 22 Oct 2007 19:16:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive - problems installing grub

Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:39:01 -0400
From: Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive -
	problems	installing grub

JP Vossen wrote:
I don't remember getting this error.  Oops, but I do now vaguely recall
occasionally having some kind of issue, and installing grub
interactively via:
    $ grub
        root (hd0,0)
        find /grub/stage1
        setup (hd0)

If the above works it will probably produce some "can't find here but
did find there" and successful install messages.

Nope. Well, it said it found everything it wanted (I used the exact commands above). I got successful messages. But no boot ... not even the "Loading GRUB message ....)

Hummm, that's weird. Once I've gotten the grub install successful message I don't recall any more problems. I'm not 100% sure the "(hd0,0)" stuff is right. I eyeballed your settings, but I've always had to poke at it a bit. BIOS settings can sometimes play a role, though with your simple case I'd think that wouldn't be a problem. I would start suspecting BIOS, H/W or other goofiness, but since you got it working a different way I'm not sure what to say. I must have missed *something*...

Never had this much problems cloning a Windows system to a larger drive. :-(

Sorry you are having problems. I've done this a couple of times and I don't remember having these issues. I've also had sort-of the opposite experience recently, though I was trying to move a Windows hard drive to a different system, which task failed miserably, and at length.

Perhaps I'll just install a new version of Linux on it (it's Debian
testing; don't ask me when it was originally made; I don't remember
silly code names. I think it was kernel 2.4.19 ?), and transfer over the
/home files, and the mail and samba config files ...

I just did that in late summer with Red Hat 8 to Debian Etch. It would work, and we could go on some more with it, but I since you've already solved the problem.....

Sorry I couldn't help more,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.