Mike Leone on 22 Oct 2007 19:52:54 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive - problems installing grub

JP Vossen wrote:

>> Never had this much problems cloning a Windows system to a larger
>> drive. :-(
>
> Sorry you are having problems.  I've done this a couple of times and I
> don't remember having these issues.  I've also had sort-of the opposite
> experience recently, though I was trying to move a Windows hard drive to
> a different system, which task failed miserably, and at length.

You've got to run "sysprep" first, so that Windows forgets which device
drivers it has, and reads the hardware in the new system on first boot
and installs new device drivers appropriately. You can't just move a HD
from one machine to another (well, you can, but no guarantee that it
will continue working on the new system reliably). It's not hard.

Now, *that*, I could show you how to do. :-)

>> Perhaps I'll just install a new version of Linux on it (it's Debian
>> testing; don't ask me when it was originally made; I don't remember
>> silly code names. I think it was kernel 2.4.19 ?), and transfer over the
>> /home files, and the mail and samba config files ...
>
> I just did that in late summer with Red Hat 8 to Debian Etch. It would
> work, and we could go on some more with it, but I since you've already
> solved the problem.....
>
> Sorry I couldn't help more,

No, you were quite helpful; thanks so much!