jeff on 24 Oct 2007 21:52:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Meeting Topic Request-ncomp

Beauchamp, Brian wrote:
> We have a couple of N-computing's xtenda systems running here at work.

are those the ones that don't run via ethernet?

We just showed our COO how they work.  She was most impressed - full
steam ahead.  Unfortunately I have to re-time the blinky lights a bit,
as she isn't as ready to accept desktop linux.  The objection seemed to
be that it would look a little different.  By that token, we can't run
Vista either (not that there's any danger of that happening).

The Ncomputing boxes also seem to prefer as straight a connection to the
server as possible.  Some hideous tiling was fixed by removing a hop.
It's almost like they need an `ethernet preamp' or something.

Open Office was bandied about also.  We're deploying it alongside Office
and encouraging people to have a go at it.  We get a pretty good price
on MS products, but it still doesn't seem worth it.

I shall go to sleep xmas eve with visions of FOSS desktops dancing in my
head.