Sean C. Sheridan on 25 Oct 2007 15:12:34 -0000

[PLUG] Free Software

I'm convinced few people understand what is meant by "free" in regard to
the term "free software".

*``Free software'' is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the
concept, you should think of ``free'' as in ``free speech,'' not as in
``free beer.''

*``Free software'' does not mean ``non-commercial''.

More precisely, it refers to four kinds of freedom, for the users of the
software:

    * The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

    * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for
this.

    * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).

    * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to
the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access
to the source code is a precondition for this.

Yes, I copied and pasted all of this... because it is my right to.

Here's the original link:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html

Many people may not understand that you may charge for your software and
still have it fall under the category of "free software".  If, however,
you do not offer the sourcecode your software is not free.  Futhermore the
foundation promotes copyleft, as opposed to copyright.

On the subject of copyrights, here's a presentation that I'd like to attend:

"Copyright vs. Community" and "Don't Even Think "Intellectual Property""

"Copyright developed in the age of the printing press, and was designed to
fit with the system of centralized copying imposed by the printing press.
But the copyright system does not fit well with computer networks, and
only draconian punishments can enforce it. The global corporations that
profit from copyright are lobbying for draconian punishments, and to
increase their copyright powers, while suppressing public access to
technology. But if we seriously hope to serve the only legitimate purpose
of copyright?to promote progress, for the benefit of the public?then we
must make changes in the other direction".

http://www.fsf.org/events/20071026nagoya

Sean C. Sheridan
scs@CampusClients.com

Campus Party, Inc.