JP Vossen on 26 Oct 2007 19:03:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Gutsy

Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:21:42 -0400
From: "Chad Waters" <chad@chadwaters.com>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Gutsy

Wow, check out deborphan. It will help you clean up old obsolete
libraries left behind after all those upgrades.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/deborphan
http://debaday.debian.net/2007/10/21/deborphan-find-packages-you-dont-want/

See also: apt-get autoremove

But be a little careful, especially with 'deborphan -a'.

If you have installed anything outside of the packaging system, you might have had to install supporting libs that 'deborphan' may list. I've also seen things like build-essential, localepurge, picasa (& wine), stellarium and many more show up when trying 'deborphan -a.' Perhaps those things have no dependencies, but I still installed them on purpose and want them...

I don't recall ever having a problem using just plain 'deborphan' and 'apt-get autoremove' but I'd personally avoid 'deborphan -a' and it might not hurt to log what you did and when you did it...

On a similar topic, 'localepurge' is pretty cool. Note it's in "Universe" so you may have to fiddle with your /etc/apt/sources.list (or enable it via the GUI). In a nutshell it "removes superfluous locale data" thus freeing up disk space. Before you dismiss that as "disk is cheap" consider also a) running on old hardware (which I do a lot) and b) backup costs. The laptop I noted at the start of this thread has a 16G disk, of which 10G is used...

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.