Mark M. Hoffman on 26 Oct 2007 16:58:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Gutsy

Hi JP:

* JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> [2007-10-26 01:14:46 -0400]:
> I just finished an upgrade to Gutsy on my "kitchen" laptop.  It went
> flawlessly, and I now have a MythTV frontend there too.  (It works, but
> this laptop is an old Latitude P3 with 512M RAM--a tad slow for TV.)  If
> I have any complaint about the upgrade, it's that it kept stopping to
> ask if I wanted to overwrite various modified config files.  Of course I
> appreciate that, but you can't just fire and forget, you have to babysit.
>
> I love that you can now drag&drop "buttons" in the task bar to reorder
> them.  Being the creature of habit that I am, that's a critical feature.
>  Oh, and TuxPaint has some new brushes and a better organized "stamps"
> tool, which my 3.5yo likes.  I don't have any hardware new enough to use
> the new eye-candy, which usually just annoys me anyway.
>
> But the really interesting thing is that this laptop is old and has no
> working CD ROM.  So the initial install in Fall of 2006 was via a Debian
> netinst floppy set which I hacked in mid-stream to install Dapper
> instead.  I then later upgraded Dapper to Feisty (which required an
> intermediate upgrade to Edgy IIRC).  Now I'm running Gutsy.  And it
> just...works.  Try that with an RPM based system.  Or a non-Linux
> system... :-)  (How does Solaris do with that?  I've never tried.)

FYI: upgrade w/o CDROM is not too hard Fedora/RHEL/Centos/etc:

1) Grab the pxeboot images, "initrd.img" and "vmlinuz".  E.g. F7:
<mirror>/fedora/linux/releases/7/Fedora/i386/os/images/pxeboot/

2) Put them in /boot.  I like to rename them also:

	/boot/initrd.img.f7
	/boot/vmlinuz.f7

3) Add an entry to /etc/grub.conf:

	title F7 Installer
	root (<whatever the other entries have>)
	kernel /vmlinuz.f7
	initrd /initrd.img.f7

4) Reboot, and pick the new entry in GRUB.  Viola, no CDROM or floppy needed.

Any machine w/ GRUB can be upgraded/overwritten to any distro w/ pxe images
with that method.  IIRC ubuntu has them also, but it's been a while.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman@lightlink.com