JP Vossen on 26 Oct 2007 05:14:56 -0000

[PLUG] Gutsy

I just finished an upgrade to Gutsy on my "kitchen" laptop. It went flawlessly, and I now have a MythTV frontend there too. (It works, but this laptop is an old Latitude P3 with 512M RAM--a tad slow for TV.) If I have any complaint about the upgrade, it's that it kept stopping to ask if I wanted to overwrite various modified config files. Of course I appreciate that, but you can't just fire and forget, you have to babysit.

I love that you can now drag&drop "buttons" in the task bar to reorder them. Being the creature of habit that I am, that's a critical feature. Oh, and TuxPaint has some new brushes and a better organized "stamps" tool, which my 3.5yo likes. I don't have any hardware new enough to use the new eye-candy, which usually just annoys me anyway.

But the really interesting thing is that this laptop is old and has no working CD ROM. So the initial install in Fall of 2006 was via a Debian netinst floppy set which I hacked in mid-stream to install Dapper instead. I then later upgraded Dapper to Feisty (which required an intermediate upgrade to Edgy IIRC). Now I'm running Gutsy. And it just...works. Try that with an RPM based system. Or a non-Linux system... :-) (How does Solaris do with that? I've never tried.)

:-)
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.