Matthew Rosewarne on 26 Oct 2007 18:49:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Gutsy

On Friday 26 October 2007, Chad Waters wrote:
> Wow, check out deborphan. It will help you clean up old obsolete
> libraries left behind after all those upgrades.
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/deborphan
> http://debaday.debian.net/2007/10/21/deborphan-find-packages-you-dont-want/

What I've found to be even better than deborphan is aptitude's
automatically/manually installed flag.  If you explicitly request that a
certain package be installed, it gets marked as manually installed, while
it's dependencies are marked as automatically installed.  If you later remove
that package, or if its dependencies change, any unused dependencies get
removed too.  I know that the version of apt-get in Debian testing also has
this capability, not sure about Ubuntu though,