JP Vossen on 26 Oct 2007 19:35:07 -0000

[PLUG] Apt-proxies?

I am currently running 'apt-proxy' on my Debian server to cache packages for Debian and Ubuntu [1]. It's a great concept and it used to work really well, but since I upgraded to Etch apt-proxy has been really unstable and has required frequent re-starts to keep it mostly working. That is unacceptable.

After a trivial apt-cache search I see the following:
* approx - caching proxy server for Debian archive files
* apt-cacher - caching proxy system for Debian package and source files
X apt-proxy - Debian archive proxy and partial mirror builder

I prefer to use a specialized proxy for this purpose instead of something like squid. For one thing, I believe the stock quid install won't cache or keep larger items, which is of course exactly want I want to do, and I don't feel like messing with it.

A purpose-built package seems easier, and it looks like apt-cacher is a good bet, but I figured I'd ask for recommendations first.

TIA,
JP

[1] For anyone unfamiliar, apt-proxy is just what the name says. It proxies apt-get (aptitude, etc.) and caches the packages locally so you only ever download a package once, no matter how many local machines later request it. That saves bandwidth as well as load on the repo mirrors and is thus a Good Idea for anyone with more than 1 machine at a site. Each client must modify their /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to the local proxy, which is slightly tedious, but that can be scripted or I just do a cut and paste from a local web server's cheat sheet.
JP Vossen, CISSP |:::======| jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
My Account, My Opinions |=========| http://www.jpsdomain.org/
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.