Matthew Rosewarne on 26 Oct 2007 22:19:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Apt-proxies?

On Friday 26 October 2007, JP Vossen wrote:
> I prefer to use a specialized proxy for this purpose instead of
> something like squid.  For one thing, I believe the stock quid install
> won't cache or keep larger items, which is of course exactly want I want
> to do, and I don't feel like messing with it.

Sounds like a good time to check out debtorrent, which is a proxy (of sorts)
that fetches packages from a bittorrent-esque cloud of peers.  It saves your
distro the need for swarms of mirrors and high bandwidth bills.  The client
can be used on one machine, or as an apt proxy for several machines.  I'm
using it now, and despite its relatively recent appearance, is certainly
ready for everyday use.

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/debtorrent

http://debtorrent.alioth.debian.org/