Matthew Rosewarne on 26 Oct 2007 22:08:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Free Software

On Friday 26 October 2007, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> I would caution you, Matt, to perhaps read up on this subject a bit more.
> Your statements indicate a clear lack of understanding of basic economics
> and the US and world economies.

I am well-aware of what is often said about the economics of globalisation.  I
don't agree with all of it, however.  "Top heavy" economies (high commerce &
invention, low manufacturing) have a strong track record of suddenly falling
over.  We and the Soviets rose above the tatters of the post-imperial
European economies in large part because of our overwhelming ability to
produce material goods, despite the dominance the Europeans previously had
over us in terms of banking and education.  We will encounter a similar fate
if we don't heed the lessons of history, no matter what Wall Street analysts
might say.  Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong, but unfortunately I don't have
very high expectations of that happening.