jondz on 29 Oct 2007 18:23:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] which way to go to run winxp apps in linux

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 13:09 -0400, jeff wrote:
> jondz wrote:
>  > I am completely clueless in windows so should i go to the direction of
> > vmware or wine, or is there anything out there.  I just want to run just
> > a few programs just because i have to...
>
> I think it depends on which programs and what you're looking for out of
> them.  I've gotten a few up via Wine and it's tons better than it used
> to be, but....
>
> My preference is VMware.  I built an XP image, which I run in VMPlayer.
>  That should run whatever you throw at it, whereas Wine is a bit iffy
> and requires some fiddling sometimes.
>
> You can build images in Player - there are several guides online.  You
> essentially create a blank hard drive and point the player at your
> CDROM, which should have an XP (or whatever) disk in it.  So you're
> doing a fresh XP install.
>
> Ideally you keep a copy of this elsewhere, so you'll always have a clean
> image, just in case.
>
> I have no idea how it will perform on your machine, but I have done it
> with my old AMD box under XP, running Ubuntu, XP, or 98 images, and it
> performs acceptably.
>

> If you go this way and need help, let me know.
>

> -=-=-
> ... my computers don't freeze - I run linux
> * TagZilla 0.066 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

Thanks everybody for all the VM suggestions for Windows.  I settled with
"Innotek virtual box ose" that is available in ubuntu 7.10.   Really the
first thing I tried to install and I liked it.  Very simple, I can even
resize the Windows windows up to full screen and the vm resolution
follows with it.   Very good enough for me (home use).  Its snappy,
feels like a native machine.

jondz