Mike Leone on 30 Oct 2007 03:09:41 -0000

[PLUG] [Fwd: Gutsy and Atheros - now working]

Huh? Howzat, I hear you say? Well, it's like this ...

I decided, what the heck - I'll re-format and re-install from scratch. It'll take a couple hours (this is an 8 year old PII-400 laptop we're talking about; it ain't exactly a speed demon ..). So I do that, and go listen to the radio for a couple hours while it trundles along.

After it finishes, and boots for the first time, I see that it's telling me I am using an Atheros card, and that means it wants to load restricted drivers, and I need to use Administrator mode and allow/deny that.

"Hmm", I thought, "*that's* new - don't recall seeing that before". So I tell it that it's fine to load the drivers, and then I set about configuring KNetworkManager to use the wireless card, And hey! it seems to know about WPA this time ...

So I give it the WPA password, and a password for the KWallet, and away I went, merrily wirelessing my way.

So what was different?

The first time I installed Gutsy, I had *only* the wireless card; I had no wired card inserted. This time, I did have both the wired and wireless cards inserted during installation. Dunno why it should have mattered, but apparently it did. Because this time KNetworkManager worked right out of the gate with my Atheros-based card, including WPA support. And last time, that was *not* the case - there was no option for WPA during my first install, causing me to go and use kwlan (which caused me all the frequent disconnects).

So I guess having a wired card inserted during the install caused it to install some items that it did not install the first time? I dunno.

What I do know is that it's now all Just Working, as I had hoped it would.

One last thing that still annoys me is that KNetworkManager needs to prompt me for my KDE Wallet password, before it loads up support for the card and activates it, when I log in. Anyone know how to make that just load up without prompting me every time I log in?

In conclusion, everything is now working for me as it should, and it was all resolved with the classic Windows method - reinstall from scratch. :-) (and to be sure to have a non-restricted NIC available during install, apparently). And except for the part about being prompted for the KDE Wallet password before the card would load, it was as smooth as a wireless install under Windows. Smoother, actually, since I didn't have to load any drivers, and there were less clicks to enter parameters such as SSID and WPA password.

So high kudos to Gutsy and (k)ubuntu.