Brian Stempin on 30 Oct 2007 13:51:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Redundant switch configurations

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Redundant switch configurations
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:51:22 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=qGWG55H6je8DRXcOkpk3FBYnJUGjq9DtcKVBwp2s4ho=; b=shn7pmD3fWV3Nc53Pb1+mm0Bm8EMbLTvY8LmgShNdWFsLLWHTUkJug9WVw4C3/YAFXH+eX7Ydjyg+hvA3fvhQYBo4sinanGt+7dQ03v3tMYjhojkojNmjPAw9TTVxJg3P2wNxDBs+4CxwM+Dg1SaQfVS16jLwt48KPSib2WDhWw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Gah!  sorry about that...fat fingers this morning....

Anyway, what I was going to suggest is to use ALB (Adaptive Load Balancing).  This will allow your server(s) to use both network cards as one without limiting yourself to an active/passive model.  Basically, both cards will share an IP and MAC address and will both be able to TX/RX, which will essentially double your throughput (disclaimer:  a single connection/transfer can only go as fast as the card it's being routed through.  This type of architecture is only worthwhile in environments that deal with large numbers of connections).  At the same time, if a card fails, the system will fail over to whichever card is in operation.

I personally have only used ALB on Windows systems, so I can't make any claims as to how well this works or how to do this on Linux systems.  Perhaps someone else can fill in here?