zuzu on 30 Oct 2007 19:49:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Taking a Whack Against Comcast

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Taking a Whack Against Comcast
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 15:49:30 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=NceyIrWpONg61dpfO38K38e0wzZU5r/5zM8umdRbZh0=; b=Go6Hp54pcn0s3eyikx6Qdx0fiVZt+JVe46h8Fg7wUcBgDKmSgkdIMxrOQhOLH3imFgfqqo9ZwszaXph3VsGaoDcfeSm2KqNl252oxLi40SgvihvNoplo7LRFrC8K5ooA8m177BPw8OFMS1hkEzQ7hnvneR4m9rq7gso0SA8xlL8=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/28/07, fljohnson3@isp.com <fljohnson3@isp.com> wrote:
> To the rookie observer, a thimbleful of the commentary on Comcast in the
> last year sounds like the work of ppl trying to run Internet servers in
> their homes. AFAIK, the "consumer" broadband services won't, as a matter
> of policy, let you do that. The asymmetrical bandwidth thing also makes it
> impractical.

1.) appealing to "policy" is a circular argument and unconvincing.
foremost the Internet is a network of _peers_.  "residential" vs
"business" is marketing code for "tiered Internet" in violation of the
end-to-end principle.

2.) asymmetrical bandwidth is at most an artifact of the current
network infrastructure limitations, and that's mostly only true for
cable, and sometimes for DSL.  however, for Verizon's FiOS their
asymmetric (e.g. 5/2 or 15/2) service is a completely *artificial*
limitation; fibre optic / PON are "naturally" symmetrical.  in
competitive markets (NY, NJ, CT) Verizon has finally given in to
providing 20/20 symmetric service:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071023-verizon-discovers-symmetry-offers-2020-symmetrical-fios-service.html

__FYI, in Pennsylvania FiOS service was supposed to be upgraded to
**15/15** symmetrical in congruent fashion, but the network managers
have been dragging their feet on offering this since the beginning of
*October*.__  (I've had this confirmed first-hand by a Verizon
representative.)  so if you want 15Mbps upload bandwidth, _call in_
and _request_ it!  let Verizon hear the market demand for the return
of symmetric bandwidth.