fljohnson3 on 28 Oct 2007 10:44:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Taking a Whack Against Comcast

To the rookie observer, a thimbleful of the commentary on Comcast in the
last year sounds like the work of ppl trying to run Internet servers in
their homes. AFAIK, the "consumer" broadband services won't, as a matter
of policy, let you do that. The asymmetrical bandwidth thing also makes it
impractical.

That said, do I have it correct that any and all attempts to put Internet
servers (SMTP/HTTP/FTP/friends) are doing so on Comcast's Business
broadband-and getting jerked around by Comcast's network admins/marketing
people in the process?

I was able to glean from the archives issues of :

(1) undertrained customer support (they never really learned what IP is,
outside of two or three applications that came in the box with Windoze)
(2) a less-than-optimally-reliable WAN
(3) poor network management practices, e.g. making it harder for the user
to get stuff done or presenting how it all works as a "black art" that the
user shouldn't "worry (his/her) pretty little head about". (I used to do
net admin for a small company in DC, and insisted on educating MY users.)

Had I sufficient capital, know-how (my WAN knowledge tops out with the
T-1), and charisma, I'd say we band together and build a broadband ISP to
kick Comcast where it hurts.