Brian Vagnoni on 30 Oct 2007 23:23:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Good wireless router(s)?

Everyone's comments have been good but more information is needed to properly answer this question?

Is this a commercial application?
How many users?
How many ssid's? Some devices can do more than one?
How many vlans if any?
Do you want to vpn to the device?
Are you looking for an Access Point or a Wireless router there is a difference?
What band do you want to support (A; 5.8GHz), (B,  G; 2.4Ghz), and or (N; 2.4Ghz) or multiple bands at once? Dual or single radio's?
Types of encyption (WEP, WPA ..etc)
What's your budget?
What kind of throughput are you looking for?
Are you looking for a solution that offers convergence?
Are you looking for a solution that has wide industry acceptance e.g Cisco equipment?
Do you need RADIUS or 802.1x support?
What distances do you want to be able to communicate over? You may need an amplifier, which requires the unit to support a removal external antenna. Is it LOS or are there walls and other obstacles in your path.
Do you need a unit with the ability to use an external antenna is so what type directional , omni-directional?

One wireless router I recommend is a Linksys WRV200 it does many of the things I have listed above for about $65.00.

FCC allow 4 watts ERP.

Remember when dealing with RF, if it isn't adding to your overall gain it's taking away from it. This includes long cables, connectors, and patch cables.There are very few if any 0 dBm gain items out there.

Just some trivia for the lady's on our list.

Spread Spectrum Technology used in everything from the Military communications to cordless phones was invented by the Austrian born actress Hedy Lamarr back in 1942. She is better known for being the model for Catwoman in the Batman comics. Billed as "the most beautiful woman is the world" by Hollywood magnate Louis Mayer at the time. She appeared in the first nude scene on film ever in the Czech film Ecstasy. Like Einstein she saw what was coming in Germany and got out before the Nazi's came to power. Unfortunately she died in early 2000, just as the wireless LAN market was gaining mainstream attention and never made a dime on her patented Spread Spectrum technology which expired in 1959.

Brian Vagnoni