zuzu on 30 Oct 2007 22:33:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Redundant switch configurations

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Redundant switch configurations
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:33:05 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=LBWYGrSeEjFvokjSvDDcVLDroFjQrh/upSh0jVQO7ho=; b=rloHR1Bm/o3C8EFkz0urVcy31auGMi5CSc/wrI6LHwZ0rHOvxFVAhEG05Fnoxh+LIH+LAvKaHrraLGNwBJ388RoFIYTz4GsLEA5Xb8kTbXaj5ynqRMFteUeGMgM3MjVHfHiZdM5+54XbcTJUEZNtSblullRbypYSjqRmn/nb97o=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/30/07, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/07, zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think this also falls under "trunking" and "link aggregation".  my
> > investigation into this has been more about merging the bandwidth of
> > two upstream providers (ISP) without requiring anything on their end,
> > using a Linux server.  e.g. a friend of mine worked in India for a few
> > years and the ISP service there was relatively slow but inexpensively
> > priced, so he had to combine several ISP accounts into what looked
> > inside his LAN as a single fat pipe.  or, I know that Verizon's
> > current pricing scheme of $45 for 15/2 but $180 for 30/5 means that
> > for the same $180 you could aggregate 4 15/2 lines for 60/8 Mbps
> > total.
>
> or if you're aggregating diverse services, such as fibre, cable, and
> DSL, you provide redundancy against single-source failure.
>
> hardware-wise, if you're looking for something mini-ITX sized and you
> only have one PCI slot, the Sun X1034A 4-port 10/100 NIC is available
> on ebay for ~$20 or less.

ok, closer to $500, but still a long awaited product.

http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=40

FX5620 6 LAN Industrial Firewall/Router Platform: 1GHz Fanless CPU & 256MB RAM