zuzu on 1 Nov 2007 18:45:54 -0000

[PLUG] Re: FiOS TV, MythTV, QAM, no sound on WGN and Weather Channel?

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] Re: FiOS TV, MythTV, QAM, no sound on WGN and Weather Channel?
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 14:45:49 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=WiYSJlQMm6i0GPnLWjAwgTwz7SNsz9ucds0stS7So/I=; b=HP+OOYAJW173RI+7FBVAJ4czqooEzl0LhmelH2epCmwAilR2bj1K+pyckZ/mWvHnoruPPORTZL9mRv6ad+O1lybkrvC2Tqibi2hV1Q77485zBNjO0RF/uZy/V61To9ybUnOJ/r3ygN1/udPJ+ZnAK6sOwlfO+rDIEY3j5WZp0aw=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

still fighting Verizon on this.  here's some new information I've
learned, however.  (if anyone here is a member on AVSforum, please
cross-post to there.)

Verizon is injecting something like a _broadcast flag_ (although the
representative I spoke to seemed to confused this with encrypted QAM
at times) which the Actiontec routers look for.  this could explain
the very large PMT header information.

supposedly when the 2009 analog OTA shut-off occurs, Verizon wants to
force everyone who subscribes to FiOS TV to use their cablebox even
(encrypting) for OTA channels (which are currently offered as Clear
QAM).  isn't there some kind of law/regulation regarding this
behavior?  don't the OTA channels have to be unencrypted (un-DRM'd)?
can someone cite this regulation/law for me?

because of the OTA regulations about how much Verizon can charge for
that feed, Verizon is seeking the loophole of charging rents on the
(mandatory) cablebox instead.

when you call in for tech support for FiOS TV service, the support
centers are in Texas, Indiana, and Florida.  they use a _Slingbox_
(seriously) to route the local video office feeds in question to their
tech support office.  this is why they ask you for a "channel number"
when you inquire about a broadcaster.  the conversion from signal ->
cablebox -> slingbox is also why, I suspect, I'm having such
difficulty getting Verizon to audit the MPEG-2 Transport Stream itself
for faults.

the two "main broadcast rings" for television are in Florida and
Indiana.  apparently everyone else derives from that.

Florida gets 50Mbps download speeds.  New York, New Jersey, and
Connecticut (and I think Boston) get 20Mbps symmetric.  the filters
controlling speeds and authenticating access to the PON are _in the
firmware of the ONT_.  does anyone have EEPROM dumping skills?
comparing various firmwares from the ONT could provide insight into
how the system works.  (sorta like uncapping cable modems back in the
day.)  the hardware itself can do up to 900Mbps symmetric.  the CO
uses OC-192 upstream.

the satellite dishes used to receive the originating provider video
signal are referred to as the "super head-in".  the analog to fibre
conversion occurs at the "big box".

the 15/15 symmetric that was supposed to be offered starting the
beginning of October (according to a Verizon representative) congruent
to this [ http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071023-verizon-discovers-symmetry-offers-2020-symmetrical-fios-service.html
] will probably materialize within 8 weeks.  (the claim is that
between talk-of and actual existence heuristically occurs within
Verizon of about 8 weeks time.)

the ONT handles access authentication and the WAN is now fully DHCP.
PPPoE is provided as a legacy function, but the name and password are
no longer actually authenticated.

anyone have the info on what's so special about Florida to Verizon?  a
combination of legal benefits and where the pipe/infrastructure are?