JP Vossen on 1 Nov 2007 21:39:48 -0000

[PLUG] Hauppauge PVR-500 capture from composite input?

The things that crop up in this list are just sooooo handy!

Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:32:50 -0400
From: "Louis Kratz" <louis.kratz@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Video question

<snip>
I use the hauppauge 150 MCE, it encodes
to mpeg-2 on the card.  Using the ivtv linux driver, I can plug in a vcr,
old camera, or tv line and just cat /dev/video0 > out.mpeg to dump the
stream.  Works like a dream!  But thats an investment you may not need.

Really?! That's interesting. One of my TODOs is to capture some kid VCR tapes (and possibly DVD, not sure yet [2]) into my new MythTV setup. I have a PVR-500 with both tuners and one composite input all configured in Myth. (Humm, I thought... [1].)

I also have a VCR/DVD combo player I was going to plug into the PVR-500 composite in. But then I get stuck. How do I go about recording that? I had vague notions of trying to set up a manual recording for a given time slot, cuing up the tape then sitting there with a watch to hit play. But I figured there had to be a better way.

'cat /dev/video0 > out.mpeg' might do the trick, though it begs other questions like how to "inject" the new file into Myth. Wife Acceptance Factor implies that in with the rest of the episodes recorded would be best, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Thoughts?
JP

[1] $ ll /dev/video*
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  0 2007-10-31 15:35 /dev/video0
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  1 2007-10-31 15:35 /dev/video1
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 24 2007-10-31 15:35 /dev/video24
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 25 2007-10-31 15:35 /dev/video25
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 32 2007-10-31 15:35 /dev/video32
crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 33 2007-10-31 15:35 /dev/video33

[2] I'm sure that ripping any DVDs would be much better than capturing them. The problem is that I don't think I have any DVD players in any of my Myth* machines. I think my work Laptop can play DVDs, but I never tried and it's running XP2 (for work, remember). I suppose DVD drives are cheap enough, but I have form-factor issues too (like Dell PE 650 1u server), though I guess putting one in the Optiplex GX-260 Myth-frontend would probably work.
JP Vossen, CISSP |:::======| jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
My Account, My Opinions |=========| http://www.jpsdomain.org/
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.