Eric on 2 Nov 2007 12:29:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Video question

Eric wrote:
> This is only tangentially related to Linux but I need some advice/help.
>
> My daughter has to complete a 3 minute speech on my old VHS-C video tape
> recorder tomorrow, have it converted to one of these formats:
> [wmv|avi|mov|mpg|mpeg|mp4|3gp] and upload it to the contest site on Friday.  A
> college scholarship or considerable portion thereof could be in the balance here.
>
> Neither of my computers has the capability to take a video input (skip long
> "Pinnacle sux" story here).  The Camera Shop will convert it for $29.99 (3
> minutes or 2 hours - same price) but they have no freakin' idea what the file
> format is.  They just say: "You put the DVD in your DVD player and it plays!"
>
> Does anyone have suggestions about going from VHS-C to a file in short order?
> Perhaps someone could help out - I'd be happy to pay the $29.99 and drive over
> if that helps :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Many thanks to all who responded.  I've got a plan that we're executing - a
friend offered his digital video camera and use of his Mac so we're doing that
today.

In the process of exploring solutions I installed the Pinnacle 500-USB on my
Windows workstation.  This is the pinnacle device that never worked out of the
box 2 years ago when I first installed it.  Now, for some strange reason,
Windows recognized and installed the device and I can capture video from it!
Unfortunately, there is no audio channel available so it's all "silent movie"
type of video capture :-(

I'd have tried this on my Linux workstation but it that computer has no IEEE
1394 input.  If it's not one thing it's another!

Thanks again.

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas