Brent Saner on 3 Nov 2007 19:09:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Free Software

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Free Software
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 15:09:37 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=8p6xYzzASTS9ZvVXI/vsAwmZhLeg1lcR73KZ1q/Cmgg=; b=L/tOS+NOglhshpfJOe2o3St9/IMWUql76LxEX+RMB9gglUdaxUUBERDbqXzG4fYLcZenNLsmM1F993h7kz5EEP/YIw3NAbAozU2DVb6kz9EORdxuNPERFIYdOtY/eHN8jyzjWGmR3ks/kJ/gFOSjV8XNnQh0nAyiYBDTArINAk4=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

ah! a little bit of research shows i'm correct:

"The latest release, openSUSE 10.3 is available as a retail package and as a no-cost open source package. In terms of software, there are major differences between the two packages (see Reference below), including the fact that the retail edition contains a number of proprietary components, such as Adobe Flash. In addition, the retail package, available for 59.95 USD, includes a printed manual and limited technical support. openSUSE is available to download freely from their website. The retail and eval versions contain one DVD and six CDs, while openSUSE now uses only one CD. It is the second SUSE release to be called openSUSE, versions before openSUSE 10.2 were called SUSE Linux.

Other flavors include dedicated server editions and groupware servers geared towards corporate networks and enterprises, along with a stripped-down business desktop which runs some software designed for Microsoft Windows out of the box by virtue of WINE.

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) are Novell's branded version of SUSE targeted at corporate environments. SUSE Linux Enterprise product line (SLES and SLED) include some proprietary software as well as technical support. For instance, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (SLES 9) has fewer packages (around 1,000 packages) than the SUSE Linux Professional (consumer) distribution which has around 3,500 packages. Most of the packages that have been removed are desktop applications which are more suited to consumers than to a business environment. SLES has a guaranteed life cycle of 7 years and only the SLES products are certified by independent hardware and software vendors.

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suse#Versions)

so yes, i knew that they were selling PRIMARILY support but it's also access to their repos.

of course, from what i remember there are third-party repos you can add that give the same functionality more or less to openSuSE.