Art Alexion on 3 Nov 2007 21:35:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Free Software

Sort of.  The official DVD that I got came with 60-day access to the repos.
That is enough time to grab any package you want.  After that you miss out on
security updates, unless the package was updated on the free repos.  You get
no support.

Registration was offered to me for $80/2 licenses.  Each registration gets you
a year of access to the repos and a month of unlimited support.

Like I said, I prefer Ubuntu -- maybe I'm just used to it and know it better,
but this distro is solid. No installation nor driver issues.  Integrated into
the MS infrastructure out of the box.  At work, one of my specialties is
breaking things before they get to the floor and a user has to break it.  I
have yet to break this one.

My beloved Kubuntu, on the other hand, becomes uber-flaky when joined to an
Active Directory domain -- starting with art (user 1000) lacking access to
DOMAIN.ORG\art (user 14655)'s files and directories.  Of course I always log
in as art, and magic or randomness seems to govern whether that is user 1000
or user 14655.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @