Brian Vagnoni on 3 Nov 2007 20:25:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Cafe Latte attack (WEP)

WEP is one step above simple xor encryption and was an after thought trying to fill a hole when wireless exploded. It should not be taken seriously by anyone wanting real security.  With WEP unlike most crypto you really don't get much benefit from going from 56 bit to 104 bit encryption. Most people don't take into account, or credit the tremendous challenges involved in a dynamically changing environment like open space and a relatively narrow spectrum. A copper wire when compared with atmosphere is infinitely more stable and mathematically predicable. But wireless is nonetheless the future.

Brian Vagnoni

From: Brian Vagnoni [mailto:bvagnoni@v-system.net]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 16:17:03 -0400
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Cafe Latte attack (WEP)

I was aware of that. Just didn't want to comment before I had coffee in me. I had just gotten up. Yes, I'm single and I make a point to sleep in late with the cats on Saturday. Last time I responded to someone before I had coffee in me I ended up getting talked into giving you all a talk. :) Just kidding Elizabeth.  :)

WEP is broken, busted, wi-fooy, kaput!!!! Though you could simply turn off your wireless adapter when not using it so you are not actively listening all the time.

The following product may help Windows Users, and it's even free.

http://www.airmagnet.com/products/streetwise/

This also is a windows stack issue. But I would be preaching to the choir here so I won't.

Brian vagnoni