Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Nov 2007 04:04:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] dual monitor question

On Saturday 03 November 2007, Mag Gam wrote:
> Planning to buy a new desktop, and I want to have dual monitors. Do I need
> anything special for dual monitor setup? Also, does Linux support it?

While X does have the ability to span a single desktop over two (or even 16)
monitors, it wouldn't be Linux if there weren't several different ways to
accomplish it.  The most important thing to know is what hardware you have,
since the major vendors all implement things somewhat differently.  Depending
on what card you're using, your options include Xinerama, TwinView, MergedFB,
and I'm sure there are others.

%!PS: I don't run a multi-head setup; I'm having enough trouble getting a
_single_ NVidia card to work properly...