Art Alexion on 5 Nov 2007 12:47:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] speaking of non-distro stuff...

On Sunday, 04 November 2007 23:01, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Sunday 04 November 2007, Art Alexion wrote:
> > the default kubuntu install does not include firefox.  Konqueror is nice,
> > but there are way too many web sites where it just doesn't work.
>
> I use konq and rarely run into problems, but I guess I must visit different
> sites.  I still do keep iceweasel around in case, though.

It doesn't work with my bank.  It doesn't work with my ISP's webmail.  There
are more sites, but I remember these important ones off the top of my head.

> > But if you sudo aptitude install firefox, it wants to install gnome and
> > much of the ubuntu-desktop metapackage -- almost 100 packages.
>
> You can hardly fault Linux for being hard to use if you're intending to
> recompile your software with different options.  Last time I checked, you
> can't do that _at all_ on any other major platform.

That's why firefox used to install with static libraries.  Like OOO still
seems to.

> > So I grabbed firefox from the mozilla website.  But it doesn't run in
> > gutsy because it wants libstdc++.so.5, but Gutsy includes 6 but not 5.
> > Fortunately, I had 5 on another machine and could copy and link it.  But
> > it shouldn't be this hard to install something like firefox.  it just
> > shouldn't.
>
> You're going to have to build your own weasel, as they say.  I can walk you
> through it some time if you need, it isn't all that hard.  Don't use
> anything from the firefox site, it's much better to use the exisiting
> infrastructure in Debian/Ubuntu.  Meet me on the IRC if possible,
> otherwise, you can email me.  I would recommend the former, so you can get
> immediate feedback.

Thanks, but I got it working.  I was lucky because I had Xubuntu running on
another machine and the lib was there.  I just needed to complain that you
shouldn't have to do that.  I don't think most people would bother.  They
would just give up on Kubuntu.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @