Matthew Rosewarne on 5 Nov 2007 04:01:41 -0000

Re: [PLUG] speaking of non-distro stuff...

On Sunday 04 November 2007, Art Alexion wrote:
> the default kubuntu install does not include firefox.  Konqueror is nice,
> but there are way too many web sites where it just doesn't work.

I use konq and rarely run into problems, but I guess I must visit different
sites.  I still do keep iceweasel around in case, though.

> But if you sudo aptitude install firefox, it wants to install gnome and
> much of the ubuntu-desktop metapackage -- almost 100 packages.

You can hardly fault Linux for being hard to use if you're intending to
recompile your software with different options.  Last time I checked, you
can't do that _at all_ on any other major platform.

> So I grabbed firefox from the mozilla website.  But it doesn't run in gutsy
> because it wants libstdc++.so.5, but Gutsy includes 6 but not 5.
> Fortunately, I had 5 on another machine and could copy and link it.  But it
> shouldn't be this hard to install something like firefox.  it just
> shouldn't.

You're going to have to build your own weasel, as they say.  I can walk you
through it some time if you need, it isn't all that hard.  Don't use anything
from the firefox site, it's much better to use the exisiting infrastructure
in Debian/Ubuntu.  Meet me on the IRC if possible, otherwise, you can email
me.  I would recommend the former, so you can get immediate feedback.